As a result of various incidents involving the movement of uncontrolled vehicles in workplaces, SafeWork NSW issued a safety alert on 5 December.
Some of the recommendations in the safety alert include:
- ensure the vehicle is inspected and maintained
- be familiar with the components and limitations of the braking system
- consider the implementation of aftermarket controls that minimise the risk of uncontrolled movement of vehicles
- where it is not reasonably practicable to implement engineering controls, implement lower level controls such as alarm systems and operating procedures
- when acquiring vehicles, consider models and options that eliminate or minimise the risk of uncontrolled movement
- develop site-specific parking locations and procedures in consultation with workers
- ensure your workers have the necessary training, experience and supervision to identify hazards to control the risks associated with the uncontrolled movement of vehicles
- routinely monitor and review all control measures
Are you aware that all Persons Conducting a Business or Undertaking (PCBU – formerly known as ’employer), must ensure their plant and equipment (including vehicles) .is safe and operators are aware of the safe use, handling, storage and transport of plant? Have you ensured a risk assessment for all the plant and equipment used on your worksites (including those used by contractors) has been undertaken?
If you need advice for managing plant and equipment on site, including undertaking risk assessments and general requirements for the use of plant on site, please contact us and we can arrange a time to discuss your needs and assist you.